Florida Statutes & Administrative Rules Governing Gifted Education
Services for students in Florida who meet “gifted” eligibility requirements are mandated by state statute, regulated by Department of Education Administrative Rules, and funded annually by the FL Legislature.
List of all FLDOE Rules Currently Under Review
- 1003.01 3(a) & (b) FL’s gifted mandate
(3)(a) EXCEPTIONAL STUDENT means any student who has been determined eligible for a special program in accordance with rules of the State Board of Education. The term includes students who are gifted and students with disabilities who have an intellectual disability; autism spectrum disorder; a speech impairment; a language impairment; an orthopedic impairment; an other health impairment; traumatic brain injury; a visual impairment; an emotional or behavioral disability; or a specific learning disability, including, but not limited to, dyslexia, dyscalculia, or developmental aphasia; students who are deaf or hard of hearing or dual sensory impaired; students who are hospitalized or homebound; children with developmental delays ages birth through 5 years, or children, ages birth through 2 years, with established conditions that are identified in State Board of Education rules pursuant to s. 1003.21(1)(e).
(b) “SPECIAL EDUCATION SERVICES” means specially designed instruction and such related services as are necessary for an exceptional student to benefit from education. Such services may include: transportation; diagnostic and evaluation services; social services; physical and occupational therapy; speech and language pathology services; job placement; orientation and mobility training; braillists, typists, and readers for the blind; interpreters and auditory amplification; services provided by a certified listening and spoken language specialist; rehabilitation counseling; transition services; mental health services; guidance and career counseling; specified materials, assistive technology devices, and other specialized equipment; and other such services as approved by rules of the state board.
- 1011.62 (1)(e)2- Section (1)(e)2 deals with funding for gifted students.
All Administrative Rules
Florida Department of Education Rules Governing Gifted Education
(Click on the “final” Word document for the current rule.)
- 6A-6.03019 Special Instructional Programs for Students Who Are Gifted – The “Gifted Rule” governing student eligibility for gifted services in Florida
- 6A-6.03313 Procedural Safeguards for Exceptional Students who are Gifted – Rights regarding notice, informed consent,private evaluation for gifted eligible students. Complaint procedures.
- 6A-6.0331 General Education Intervention Procedures, Identification, Evaluation, Reevaluation and the Initial Provision of Exceptional Education Services. – General Education Intervention Procedures, Identification, Evaluation, Reevaluation and the Initial Provision of Exceptional Education Services.
- 6A-6.030191 Development of Educational Plans for Exceptional Students Who are Gifted – The state mandated process for the development and review of a gifted student’s education plan. Note: Parents have the right to request an EP review as necessary.
- 6A-4.01791 Specialization Requirements for the Gifted Endorsement – Requirements for teachers of the gifted. Note: The teacher may be working on the coursework while teaching gifted students. However, the school just notify parents if the teacher of the gifted does not currently hold their endorsement certificate.
- 6A-6.0034 Temporary Assignment of Transferring Exceptional Students -Pertains to Educational Plans for students who transfer school districts within Florida.
- 6A-6.03411 Policies and Procedures for the Provision of Specially Designed Instruction and Related Services for Exceptional Students – The rule spells out for districts what must be included in their local policies and procedures document (“SP&P” ) regarding exceptional student programs & services. Be sure to get a copy of your district’s document.
- 6A-6.0312 Course Modifications for Exceptional Students
- 6A-1.09414 Course Descriptions For Grades 6-12, Exceptional Student Education